Tie Snake Toy

Nov 8, 2011


Isn't he cute??? I created him for someone else, but I think I'll have to make another one for them because they're so cute!


 Sssss......

Ok. Let's get started!

Supplies:
An old tie (A striped one looks best, feel free to experiment)
Red felt (just a bit for the tongue)
Two black beads
A needle and thread
Half a bag (or less) of rice
a funnel
A hot glue gun and LOTS of extra glue sticks
Scissors (fabric scissors are good)
(Also, before we begin, I'd like to apologize for the lighting/clarity in the photos.
That's what you get when you have one tiny lamp that you can't even get to stretch all the way to your table)
 Okay, start with the tie.
I forgot to take a 'before' picture of the tie, so here it is before with some of the supplies
Cut off the tag.
 Cut the tie about two or three inches longer than you actually want the snake to be
 The tie started falling apart so I glued where the seam was because I don't trust my sewing

 Now place the funnel inside the open end and pour rice inside. Do it slowly with only a little bit at a time to allow the rice to sink to the bottom. (I had to stuff the rice down with a wooden stick)
 Here's the snake all stuffed
 Glue on a 'Y' shaped piece of felt (when I finished, I touched it up with a few more layers to make it sturdier)
 See the tail, all glued? It looks pretty boring.
I just snipped it, and glued the edges
I had to glue all the holes that the tie had because ties are not meant to hold rice ;). The seam in the back was only closed every centimeter or so, so I glued inside each of those.

Now simply stitch on the beads for the eyes and you're done!

xo. Kate